Face it, when people fight they can be down right rotten. Names are called, things are said that cannot be unsaid once spoken. Many and I mean MANY relationships have fallen apart because the couple did not understand that there is a right way and a wrong way to fight. When you fight with the person you love, you want to make sure that tomorrow is another day together.
8 Great Ways To Fight Fair
- Go to bed angry. Yep – I said it. Go to bed mad. Why? Because it will give you and your partner a time to cool off and gather your thoughts before the next round. Bad things are said in the heat of the moment. Take the heat out of it.
- Step back and breathe. That’s right – leave the room for a bit. Can be a minute or an hour. Again – you’re taking the heat out of the argument.
- Own up to your part of the fight. It’s hard to show empathy towards your partner during a fight because most people take it as a sign of weakness. It’s not. It shows strength when you can look at your hand in the situation.
- Find your sense of humor. The actual fight isn’t funny, but maybe behind the fight is funny. Finding humor in any situation helps to diffuse that situation – including a fight.
- No name calling. You may think he’s an ass or a bitch on wheels – but don’t say it. Once you start name calling the fight takes a deeper – uglier – turn.
- Time-out touching. There gets to be a pint when words stop working. Just shut up and touch one another.
- Kick “but” to the curb. No saying the word BUT in a fight. When you say BUT everything you said before BUT you take back. It’s very counterproductive.
- Importance. Remember what is important. Is the car being in a fender-bender or the underwear on the floor the most important thing? No. The relationship is what’s important.
In every bad fight there is a winner and a loser. In a good fight, there are two winners. Always strive to have you both come out on top.
Do You Know Your WHY? Knowing your WHY helps to give your life meaning. Finding your why + your personal life purpose creates a life of happiness and fulfillment. Check out the guide + workbook today!